Thursday, April 30, 2009

Roget


I wonder how many things are the result of depression...good things, I mean. Peter Roget (1779-1869) had reason to be depressed, I won't go in to those, but an unusual effect of his affliction is one of my most beloved tools...the Thesaurus. Peter began his lists of words as early as 1805 along with other list-making. Historians say he started this curious habit as a coping mechanism...I'm not sure if they really know this or if it is an educated guess, but it makes for good press. He studied medicine in Edinburgh which is of interest to me as my ggg grandfather is from there. Roget went on to teach in London, retired in 1840 and didn't begin his official thesaurus until 1848. When it was first published in 1852 it had the ungainly title of "Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases Classified and Arranged so as to Facilitate the Expression of Ideas and Assist in Literary Composition". Whew. Ok. I'll just stick to thesaurus.


Those of you who are familiar (my readers:) with Domus will not be surprised to know I pre-ordered the new faerie novel "Wings" by Aprilynne Pike. Alex Moore just posted a great interview with Aprilynne--isn't it interesting to read other authors take on things. Aprilynne also has a YouTube video--check it out.

1 comment:

  1. thanks...And you, Lizzy, are dipped in Awesomesauce :) I love this fact! I was just thinking about how many of the "greats" in artistic fields suffer(ed) horrifically from depression, etc. I never knew that about Peter Roget, but it doesn't surprise me... i'm thankful for him AND for whoever decided that shift F7 would conjure him instantly!!!! :P

    ReplyDelete