Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New dog and alphabet soup

It's true. Puppies are babies. I ignored the raised eyebrows and silent responses when I announced I was getting, not just a puppy, but an Australian Shepherd. I scoffed at the pet store clerk when she said that they are very rowdy. I silently remarked that if I wanted a couch-potato-dog I'd buy a basset. No offense to basset owners. Being a "walker" myself, I reveled in the Dog Whisperer's advise that dogs need a minimum of 45 minutes of walking every day. I looked forward to playing frisbee in the park and taking first place in agility classes. That was me in my own little perfect dog dream world.

Now I know. Now I'm in the real world. Sophie has opened my eyes, terrorized the cat and shredded the mail. She's thirteen weeks and seven pounds of lightening zipping around the house in a black and white blur. They say that puppies (ok, kittens, too) evoke a hormone that makes us love them otherwise we may want to strangle them. My husband is always saying it's a good thing she's so cute.

What does all this have to do with writing? Well, new babies are time consuming. In fact, they are ALL consuming. It's always about me, me, me!! But, that's ok. I am having the time of my life with her and storing up a lot of anecdotes to spice up my stories! She's even given me a personality for one of my "drogs" (dog sized dragons) in my novel Domus.

Gotta go. Someone is barking at the door to go out, so evidently, she does, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment