Friday, October 23, 2009

Outlander series...

Being of Scottish heritage, Jamie Fraser is irresistible to me. He's not just Scottish, he's a Highlander. Not just a Highlander, a gentleman. Not just a gentleman, an honorable gentleman. A hero. A hunk. And, Claire. She loves and uses herbs for heaven's sake; my kind of woman. So, along with thousands of others, I have been waiting...and waiting...and waiting for the 7th installment of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. It's like waiting for a man to propose - excruciating. I can understand the time it takes to let the characters reveal the plot to you; to think about them, dream about them, write it down and revise, revise, revise. After all, my Domus is in revision...again. But, that doesn't make it easy to wait. I have to admit that more than once I said, "What the heck is taking so long?" And, I wasn't too happy when Diana spent time on Lord John manuscripts when she could have, should have been with Jamie. But, who am I to question other folks methods or muses? Diana obviously has a winning formula for best sellers.

It's like waiting for a package to come for so long you swear it's lost in the mail then one day it just appears. "An Echo in the Bone". All 814 pages of it not including the author's notes. After all my complaining and criticizing about it taking so long between books (Ever waited for a package FOUR YEARS?), I don't have time to read it! Isn't that a kick in the seat of the pants. So, it sits on the shelf. Beckoning. Taunting. Yes, I could put it by the bedside because I always read before going to sleep. But, I know me. If I crack open that book, it's sayonara to my other projects. I will read the Echo straight through without so much as a guilty sigh. Feed the dog - maybe. Sift the cat litter - no. Answer the phone - never! So, Echo sits on the shelf and waits for me as I have waited all these years for it! I always read something from the Outlander series every January...I hope to high heaven Echo is finished before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment