Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Just write...

I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter. ~James Michener Wow! Really, James said he wasn't a very good writer? I'm not sure where that puts me on the literary food chain...the missing link possibly? Not missing link as in answer to cryptic questions, but missing link as in actually missing. But, he's an excellent rewriter...hmmm. This gives credence to the NaNoWrMo superDUPERcalifragilisticexpialidocious way of writing this month. Write like an egg being scrambled...grammar, style, voice be hanged...write like your life depended on word count alone. Run with scissors, shoot a BB gun, swim after eating. Write like world peace will happen if you hit that magical 50k count on November 30. Or at least peace between Mizzou and KU fans. Close your eyes and channel that other world that lives only in you. That story that only you can tell. That epic waiting to debut in a style that is uniquely yours. It's ok to rant and ramble in this first draft. It's ok to murder syntax along with your victim. It's ok to change point of view three times in one sentence, dangle your participles and misspell. Gads! Did I say it's ok to misspell...don't tell my husband. Just ignore those red words begging correction. The idea is to get the idea down...free form. Write endlessly like the Mobius Strip. Type, write with abandon, run with the James Michener wolves: REWRITE, REVISE LATER. I like January for this. My gardens are not calling, the roads are too bad to go anyplace, my fireplace is crackling and a pot of herb tea is brewing, that is the time for the proverbial blue pencil. But, right now: WRITE.

No comments:

Post a Comment