Friday, November 13, 2009

Mustaches and Word Count

Evidently writers aren't the only ones who use November as a catalyst (National November Writers Month) to get things done. If you are of the male persuasion and can grow or ever wanted to grow or think you can grow a mustache, Movember may be your calling. My man Gary has a mustache as does his brother so I happen to be partial to them. And Tom Selleck, well he just seals the deal; I mean even if you could resist Magnum no one can resist Quigley. Movember began in Australia in 1999 when a group of hirsute men decided to raise money for charity. The rules were simple: you must be clean shaven on November 1 and grow the mustache until November 30. Sorry, beards and goatees don't apply.

Now, if you are a writer you can participate in both NaNoWriMo and Movember, in fact it may be quite productive. You can closet yourself away, write like a fiend and you don't have to shave. Bathing optional.

As a NaNo participant I receive posts from all over the world. This morning I recieved an email from Maureen Johnson. (Check out her site:maureenjohnson.blogspot.com) She just so happened to have used Australia to illustrate the writing difficulties of being in the middle of the month. Since I, too, am writing about Australia today, I took that as a sign. A good sign..that I will cross the finish line with a decent word count..regardless of how tattered and torn, beaten and threadbare, I will keep on keeping on and all that stuff. I just hope I don't finish with a moustache.

No comments:

Post a Comment