Monday, November 30, 2009

NaNoWriMo is over.

Happy birthday Samuel Longhorn Clemens; you did it your way. I kind of like his real name, sounds distinguished. Sounds like he would go on to be successful and famous, but evidently Samuel didn't think so at the time. The Mark Twain pseudonym is the result of his river piloting days meaning it's "safe to navigate". I like it that he took a name with real meaning for him. He must have loved the river and relived his days there through Tom and Huck's adventures. Sam wrote 28 books and I couldn't even meet my word goal during NaNoWriMo this month.

My all time favorite Mark Twain quote is "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."
That resonates with me and my writing struggles and is why I never seem to meet my NaNo goal: I spend too much time thinking about which words to use and spellchecking and editing and not enough time WRITING. NaNo is over today. Maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment