Friday, March 4, 2011

Good Books

All done with Stieg and, as usually happens when I "power read" three novels in a row, I am SO ready for non-fiction. I found two that look interesting. One I already had on Ellis Bell (my Kindle): Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel G. Amen M.D. It's all about brain imaging--using an old technology with new applications: SPECT. Dr. Amen discovered how the brain is working when we concentrate on various things thus concluding that what was once thought of as merely behavioral issues (obsessive-compulsive disorder, anxiety problems, depression, aggression, even violence) are in fact brain function problems and can be "fixed". Even if you have no interest in behavioral disorders, it's fun to read about what part of your brain "lights up" when doing specific tasks.

The second book is "Poke The Box" by Seth Godin. OMGSH, I love this one. It's a procrastinators start button. It's informative and motivating. If you need a kick to get off your behind and get going, this book is for you. Personally, when I get motivated I feel a little spark begin in my chest and spread throughout my body like warm honey; this book does that to me.

I made a monumental discovery this week. Since moving to the farm, Ellis Bell will not connect to "WhisperNet", that mysterious beam of energy that puts me in the Amazon Store. So, I took Ellis with me on my daily jaunt up the hill; wha-la, instant plug-in. I had such a good time reading the Kindle blurbs of books and browsing in the cyber store and, yes, purchasing a couple.
As always, I'm putting Poke the Box and Brain on my instant Amazon connect on this blog, so just give it a click to read all about them.

I love useless trivia, so today I leave you with this: it takes 3000 cows to supply one season's worth of footballs to the National Football League. I wonder what part of my brain is shining? Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment