Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Go Ahead: Revery

To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,
One clover, and a bee.
And revery.
The revery alone will do,
If bees are few.
- Emily Dickinson (© The Trustees of Amherst College)

Revery: absentminded dreaming while awake; preoccupation with something to the exclusion of all else

Have we lost the ability to daydream? I've often thought Americans are so bent on getting ahead that we have devalued down time and now I can prove it. I intended on using this little gem of a poem by Emily Dickinson on my farm blog (RCVfarm.blogspot.com) because of the clover and bees since I have both in abundance. When I typed in the poem, the word "revery" shouted up at me in bold, red letters. (Was that Bill Gates idea?) And, we all know what those red letters mean. When I clicked on it, Bill gave me a list of words: "Revelry, reverie, revere, revert". Even "every". But, no revery. Revery has been obliterated from the dictionary! But, wait a minute. Revery has not been obliterated, just changed. The powers that be changed the spelling to "reverie"; sorry Emily. Still, I think it is indicative of our opinion of daydreaming. We put it in the category of teeth grinding and snoring: "hey you, STOP IT"! Personally, I take great stock in "revery" and do it with great frequency. Especially when I'm up to my elbows in clover. I think you're on to something, Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment